Today my good friend and fellow blogger Kate Frost nominated me for The Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks Kate! I’m going to tell you 7 things about myself as part of being the recepient of this award before I pass it on to 7 other wonderful bloggers.
1. I grew up in Hampshire not far away from the beautiful city of Winchester where my favourite author Jane Austen died. I have often walked past the very house where she passed away, which backs on to the famous public school Winchester College.
2. Growing up I was always writing stories. I also told stories to my younger brother and sister. They particularly loved my ‘Sniffy Dog’ stories which were about 3 dogs called Sniffy, Mary and Lucy who would use itching powder to hurt all cats who they hated! (maybe not good stories for cat lovers!)
3. As a reward for hard work at school my dad would always buy me, my brother and sister a book or two at the end of the school term. We would get to choose them. I would generally buy a novel; my brother would often buy a Tintin or Asterix comic book (which I loved too!).
4. This a fact but also a confession – although I’ve read all of Jane Austen’s novels at least once, I’ve watched the adaptations far more often, so now I really feel I must go back and read all her novels properly again so that I know the real stories not just interpretations of them!
5. I completed my first novel, which is about 77,000 words in length, a few years ago. But it’s not great so I’m going to leave it on the shelf!
6. I met my husband in a re-enactment society. We would re-enact Norman history in England from 1066 to 1215 approximately. The society we were in would travel to various castles around the country and put on shows. The men (and any women who wanted to) would dress up as Norman knights and perform mock battles for the general public. I was too chicken to fight – didn’t fancy potential bruises (even though the swords and spears were blunt!) – so I dressed as a Norman lady and helped out preparing food for lunch.
7. I moved to Bristol, UK in 2002 after we were married. My husband got me a laptop to replace my rickety PC in about 2006 so that I could do more with my writing. I’ve never looked back!
Now I’ve told you a bit about myself, it’s time to tell you who I’ve nominated for this award. They’re all worth checking out and they are:
The rules for The Versatile Blogger Award are as follows:
1.Thank and link to the person who gave you the award.
2.Tell seven facts about yourself.
3.Pass it on to seven other bloggers.
4.Link to specific posts on their blogs to they’ll be notified by pingback.